Pictured: Located at the end of West 3rd and G streets in Benicia, the Crooks Mansion was built in the late 1880s by J.H. Crooks. However, it was Crooks' brother William and his sister Alice who occupied the building. After the death of Alice, it fell into disrepair and gained the reputation of being a "haunted house". There's a happy ending though ... the house has been restored and is privately owned.
General John Blackman Frisbie (1825-1909) was a native of New York. He married Epitana Vallejo in 1851 thus becoming the son-in-law of General Mariano G. Vallejo. He is considered to be the city of Vallejo's true founder due to his many efforts to promote the growth of the city. Photo courtesy of the Vallejo Naval and Historical Museum.